Media Education Scheme
Media Education Scheme (MES) is a scholarship initiated by the Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA) to develop professionals and industry leaders in the media industry, which comprises the Animation, Broadcast, Film, Games, Interactive Media, Music and Publishing sectors.
The scholarship, co-sponsored by MDA and established media companies, targets outstanding local students and media practitioners who seek to establish a long-term career in the media industry, and who wish to pursue full-time media-related undergraduate or postgraduate programmes at reputable Singapore or international universities.
Why choose MES?
As an MES scholar, you will:
- Have your tuition fees and other compulsory university fees sponsored by MDA;
- Receive an annual allowance from your sponsoring media company to defray your living expenses during period of study;
- Secure a job with your sponsoring media company, and be developed as a media professional or groomed for leadership role during your bond period;
- Be provided with training, internship and career opportunities in editorial, interactive media, journalism, TV production and new media engineering, among others.
Find out more about the co-sponsoring companies, their requirements and your career opportunities here
Are you an outstanding and aspiring film-maker? You could opt for the MES (Film) and be under a 2-year mentorship with a reputable film-maker upon completion of your studies. As a MES (Film) scholar, your tuition fees and other compulsory university fees will be sponsored by MDA.
Who can apply for MES and MES (Film)?
If you are a Singapore citizen or Permanent Resident who has the aspiration to transform the media industry, we welcome your application.
While you are not required to have secured a placement at the point of your application, you must have applied to an institution for admission to a full-time media-related undergraduate or postgraduate programme.
If you have already started your undergraduate or postgraduate programme, you can also apply for a mid-term scholarship.
Male applicants must have completed or be exempted from National Service at the time of their study.
Application is open from 3 January to 15 March 2013
You will be assessed on:
- Your academic results, creativity and leadership potential;
- Your achievements, track record and relevant experience;
- Relevance of the proposed studies to the development of Singapore’s media industry and co-sponsoring companies;
- Other requirements specified by MDA, and the co-sponsoring companies.
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for an interview. MDA and the co-sponsoring companies reserve the right of non-disclosure for information pertaining to the outcome of applications. All terms and conditions are subject to change and are accurate as at date of update.
MDA’s decision on scholarship grants is final and conclusive, and will not be subjected to any form of appeal or review.
How to Apply
Applicants are to apply online at http://app.cischolarship.sg, from 3 January 2013 to 15 March 2013. Please download and sign the application form, and send it together with supporting documents to:
Industry Operations Division
(Media Education Scheme)
Media Development Authority
3 Fusionopolis Way
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents in the following sequence:
- Completed and signed application form
- Copy of NRIC (front and back view on the same page)
- Copy of all educational certificates and transcripts from GCE ‘O’ level, or equivalent to tertiary education
- An essay, of approximately 1,000 words, on how you would contribute to the media industry. Essay must be typed in font Arial (size 12), single-spaced, and printed on plain A4-size paper.
- Letters of recommendations from two referees and their contact details (referees must not be immediate relatives of the applicant)
- Proof of admission into course of study, where applicable
- Information on proposed course of study, including the estimated cost
- Sample of portfolio. All materials, such as videotapes or portfolio, should be clearly labelled with the applicant’s name, contact details and accompanied by a brief write-up of the work (e.g. applicant’s role in the work, title of work, date the work was produced etc).
- Any other relevant supporting documents
All supporting documents (except for sample of portfolio) are to be submitted on plain A4-sized paper and type-written. Please do not bind application form and supporting documents.
All applications and the supporting documents need to reach us by 18 March 2013, 3pm, at the latest. We regret that late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. All documents and portfolio submitted are non-returnable.
Please submit your application early to avoid server downtime due to heavy usage of the portal and peak congestion near the end of the application period.
Please refer to the List of Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any other enquiries, please contact us at MDA_ID@mda.gov.sg or 6377 3800 during office hours.
List of Co-Sponsoring Companies
Last Updated on 12 Mar 2013